There are many benefits from having plants inside! So why not add some green to your home!
Why is it important?
People have positive responses to being around nature if they can’t get outside, having plants in your home helps you deal with stress and makes you feel more peaceful. Plants also clean the air around you. They take in carbon dioxide and give us fresh air to breath. You can also have plants in your home all year round, so even in the winter you can see some green!
What supplies do you need?
- You can use just about anything for a pot as long as it has drainage holes for the water. Here are some ideas of things you can use:
- milk or juice containers
- 2-liter bottles
- small plastic cups
- small clay pots
- Tray or dish to put your container in for the water to drain in
- X-Acto knife or box cutter
- Potting soil, compost, or mix
- Plant seeds or small plants
- Spoons for shoveling
- Things to decorate your plant container
- Paint brushes
What steps do you need to take?
- Get the container you are going to use to put your seeds or plants in:
- 2-liter bottle: have your parent cut and remove the base of a 2-liter bottle. Cut it just below where the bottle label ends.
- Milk or Juice Containers: have your parent cut the container to a good size for your plant or seeds.
- Small plastic cups: these should be a good size, but if you need to have them cut down, have your parent do it.
- You need to put holes in the containers so the water can drain:
- Use scissors to put 2-3 holes in the bottom of the containers.
- The holes should be no larger than the diameter of a pen.
- Decorate your containers using paints, stickers, ribbons, any thing you want to make your pot look festive!
- Now you can fill your containers with your choice of potting soil, compost or mix by pressing it lightly, leaving about one inch unfilled.
- Add plants and/or seeds to your container.
- Follow the directions on the plant.
- Poke a hole in the soil with your finger to insert the seeds, as needed for what you are planting.
- Water your plants!
How did it go?
- What was your favorite part of making your indoor garden?
- What was the hardest part of the project?
- How did your project help the environment?
- What other ways can you help the environment?
Want to learn more?
Learn the best way to care for your indoor garden, different kinds of plants to grow inside, and more by checking out the Kids Gardening website.