Helping our Neighbors
How can we help our neighbors when we aren’t supposed to by physically close to others, especially our neighbors who are senior citizens. There are several simple things you can do that would be mean the world to them. You can offer to rake leaves, pickup sticks, or mow the lawn of a neighbor. Or maybe call or FaceTime with elderly neighbors and family who many not be able to get out. You can even make encouraging signs to put in your yard or your neighbors yard for everyone to see.
Why is it important?
Senior citizens are living longer and many are still living on their own, but when a crisis occurs that can create new challenges for them. Seniors may not be able to do all the things that they normal do since doing them may put their heath at risk. But you can help them by showing them you care and that we are all in this together.
What supplies do you need?
- For helping with their yard you may need some of the following things:
- trash bag or trash can
- lawn mower
- Calling or FaceTiming elderly neighbors
- phone or computer
- Creating signs to show your support
- Paper, card stock or construction paper
- Markers, paint and paintbrushes, or colored pencils
- Cloth, tissue paper, glitter and other craft materials
What steps do you need to take?
- Decide the project you want to do to help your neighbors or do more than one!
- Gather the supplies you need to do your project or projects.
- Do your project….do more than one….do them many times!
How did it go?
- How did it help to help someone else?
- How do you think they felt when you helped them?
- What are other ways you can help others during this time when we have to keep our distance?